Preventive Prosthodontics : Seeing the Unseen
The aim of Preventive prosthodontics should be an attempt to converge to the dictum of DeVan “Perpetual preservation of what remains, rather than meticulous restoration of what is lost”. Preventive prophylaxis improves the overall prognosis of the stomatognathic system and the quality of life significantly. Moreover, efforts directed toward disease prevention are fundamentally superior to dental rehabilitation due to disease development. With a paradigm shift in dental care practice in progress during the current pandemic situation, preventive dentistry holds the prospects to reduce the treatment needs of the patients. Preventive prosthetic dentistry is the need of the hour.
2. Popli S, Parkash H, Bhargava A, Gupta S, Bablani D, Kar AK. A two‐piece sectional interim obturator. A clinical report. J Prosthodont 2012;21:487‐90.
3. Gulland A. People are living longer but are not in best health, global study finds. BMJ 2012;345:e8511
4. Baelum V. Dentistry and population approaches for preventing dental diseases. J Dent 2011;39 Suppl 2:S9‐19
5. Scott J, Burke FJ, Watts DC. A review of dental injuries and the use of mouthguards in contact team sports. Br Dent J 1994;176:310‐4.
6. Beumer J 3rd, Silverman S Jr, Benak SB Jr. Hard and soft tissue necroses following radiation therapy for oral cancer. J Prosthet Dent 1972;27:640‐4.
7. Payne SH. Preventive prosthodontics. J Prosthet Dent 1973;30:491.
8. Simon J. Occlusal interference. Dentistry’s great imposter. Dent Today 2003;22:70‐3.
9. Ishigaki S, Kurozumi T, Morishige E, Yatani H. Occlusal interference during mastication can cause pathological tooth mobility. J Periodontal Res 2006;41:189‐92.
10. Johansson A, Omar R, Carlsson GE. Bruxism and prosthetic treatment: A critical review. J Prosthodont Res 2011;55:127‐36
11. PihlstromBL,AndersonKA,AeppliD,SchafferEM.Association between signs of trauma from occlusion and periodontitis. J Periodontol 1986;57:1‐6.
12. KhairnarM.Classificationoffoodimpaction‐revisitedandits management. Indian J Dent Adv 2013;5:1113‐9.
13. Padma A, Ramakrishnan N, Narayanan V. Management of obstructive sleep apnea: A dental perspective. Indian J Dent Res 2007;18:201‐9.
14. Lamster IB, Eaves K. A model for dental practice in the 21st century. Am J Public Health 2011;101:1825‐30.
15. Kalk W, van Rossum GM, van Waas MA. Edentulism and preventive goals in the treatment of mutilated dentition. Int Dent J 1990;40:267‐74.
16. DuaP,SinghJP,AghiA.Aestheticandfunctionalrehabilitation of a case of mutilated dentition and loss of vertical dimensions. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2011;11:189‐94.
17. Perry RD, Magnuson B. Provisional materials: Key components of interim fixed restorations. Compend Contin Educ Dent 2012;33:59‐60, 62.
18. Smith DE. Interim dentures and treatment dentures. Dent Clin North Am 1984;28:253‐71
19. Durey KA,Nixon P J,Robinson S,Chan M F W Y. Resin bonded bridges: techniques for success.Br Dent J 2011;211:113-118
20. Garg R, Kumar M, Rubina, Saini R, Kaushal S. Preventive prosthodontics- A Boon. International Dental Journal Of Students Research 2013;1:13- 16
21. Garg S, Suresh S, Rajesh B, Sandeep K. Preventive prosthodontics- A clinical approach. BFUDJ 2011;2:25-27
22. Arora A, Upadhayaya V, Goyal I, Chowdry A. Attachments : Boon to preventive prosthodontics: Two case reports. J Dent Res Rev 2014;1:152-6
23. Vamsi Krishna CH, Rao AK, Sekhar NC, Shastry YM. Rehabilitation of maxillary arch with attachment‐retained mesh‐reinforced single complete denture. BMJ Case Rep 2014;2014
24. Scott BJ, Hunter RV. Creating complete dentures that are stable in function. Dent Update 2008;35:259‐62, 265.
25. Denissen HW, Kalk W. Preventive implantations. Int Dent J 1991;41:17‐24
26. Kalk W, Denissen HW, Käyser AF. Preventive goals in oral implantology. Int Dent J 1993;43:483‐91.
Copyright (c) 2020 National Journal of Integrated Research in Medicine
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.